Volume Purchase Program for Business
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who can participate in the Volume Purchase Program?
Employees of D-U-N-S-verified businesses are eligible to participate. After signing up, users can view, search, and purchase iOS apps and books through the Volume Purchase Program.
2. What information do I need to provide when I sign up for the Volume Purchase Program?
You must provide your contact information, including your business phone number and business email address. Consumer email addresses will not be accepted (for example, from Gmail or Yahoo). You must also provide a valid business address and a Dun & Bradstreet (D-U-N-S) number for your business. For questions about how to request or look up a D-U-N-S number, visit the Dun & Bradstreet website. Depending on your country, you may be required to identify your tax status and provide additional information.
3. Can I distribute redemption codes to employees who are not located in my country?
No. Redemption codes for iOS apps and books can only be distributed to employees with Apple IDs located in the same country where the content was purchased. To distribute redemption codes in other countries, you must enroll your business in the Volume Purchase Program for every eligible country in which you wish to purchase and distribute iOS apps and books.
4. If I’m a business in the EU, how can I find or verify my VAT registration number?
You can verify your company’s VAT registration number by visiting the VIES VAT number validation website. To locate or apply for a VAT registration number, you will need to contact your local tax authority.
5. If I’m a tax exempt business in Canada, what information do I need to provide?
If your organization is tax exempt, you will need to indicate that you are exempt on the enrollment form and provide your existing Apple Customer Number. If you are not an existing Apple customer and do not have a Customer Number you will need to provide a Certificate ID number. Click Certificate Submission on the enrollment form to submit your tax exemption documentation and obtain a Certificate ID.
6. I’m a tax exempt business in Canada. How can I find my Apple Customer Number or Certificate ID?
If you currently purchase tax exempt Apple products as a business through Apple Retail stores or the Apple Online Store for Business, then you have been assigned a Customer Number. If you don’t know your Apple Customer Number, contact your procurement or finance department. Or you can get a Certificate ID number when you complete the online process for submitting exemption documentation located on the enrollment form. Make note of this number and enter it into the Certificate ID field.
7. How do I get an Apple ID and password for use with the Volume Purchase Program?
During the set-up process, you will be prompted to create a new Apple ID that can only be used for the Volume Purchase Program (existing Apple IDs will not work). To create this new Apple ID, you must provide an email address that will be associated with it. The email address can either be your business email address (if it is not already associated with a different Apple ID), or you can create a new one specifically for the program (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org). Once you have provided a valid business email address, you will be sent a confirmation email asking you to confirm your new Apple ID and create a password.
8. I can't remember my Volume Purchase Program Apple ID or password. How do I recover them?
To check for your Apple ID or reset your password, visit Apple ID. You can check for an existing Apple ID by providing your name and email address, or reset your password by providing the email address associated with your Apple ID and verifying your identity by answering security questions.
9. How many people at my business can sign up for the Volume Purchase Program?
Any individual authorized to open an account and make purchases on behalf of your company and who can provide valid business information, including a D-U-N-S number, contact information, and a business email address, is eligible to sign up.
10. What payment methods can I use to make purchases through the Volume Purchase Program?
You can make purchases with a valid business credit card or procurement card. In the United States, PayPal is also accepted.
11. Is tax applied to purchases made through the Volume Purchase Program?
Yes. Any applicable taxes are added to each purchase or included in the displayed price, as appropriate.
12. Is there a discount on content purchased through the Volume Purchase Program for Business?
No. iOS apps and books available through the Volume Purchase Program for Business are not discounted.
13. Who do I contact if I need assistance?
For help with enrollment, accounts, billing, purchases, or code redemption, visit iTunes Store Customer Service for Volume Purchase Program for Business customers.
14. Can I get a refund for unused redemption codes?
The Volume Purchase Program does not issue refunds, except as required by law.
15. Can I move credit from an existing Apple ID used on the iTunes Store to my Volume Purchase Program Apple ID?
No. Credit cannot be moved between an Apple ID used for the iTunes Store and a Volume Purchase Program Apple ID.
16. How do I view the purchase history and redemption status of a previously purchased app?
Your purchase history is part of your account information. When viewing your account, you can track the status of each transaction, refer to past purchases, or download the current spreadsheet to see which codes have been redeemed. Your purchase history also contains additional information, such as the order date, the order number, the purchase price, and the number of codes purchased.
17. Where can I get more information about the Volume Purchase Program for Business?
For more information, go to the program overview.
18. Can I get free content through the Volume Purchase Program?
Free iOS apps and books are not offered through the Volume Purchase Program. To get free content, you must individually install iOS apps from the App Store or books from iBooks, as you normally would.
19. Can I use the Volume Purchase Program to make purchases from the iTunes Store or the Mac App Store?
No. Only iOS apps from the App Store, books from iBooks, and custom B2B apps can be purchased through the Volume Purchase Program.
20. How do I begin using the Volume Purchase Program?
After you have gotten an Apple ID and password for the Volume Purchase Program for Business, go to the Volume Purchase Program website and sign in.
21. How can I find a specific app in the Volume Purchase Program?
After you have signed in, enter the name of an app or an App Store URL into the search field.
22. How do I indicate the quantity for an app that I would like to purchase in volume?
You will be prompted to enter the desired quantity before you check out. Prior to completing the transaction you will be able to review the total price and, if necessary, change the quantity.
23. What happens after I make a volume app purchase?
Apple will send an email once your order has been processed. The email will contain a link to the Volume Purchase Program website where you can download the redemption codes spreadsheet. The number of codes will correspond to the app quantity you purchased. You will also receive a receipt showing any applicable taxes.
24. Once I make a volume app purchase, how do I distribute the redemption codes?
Each redemption code on the spreadsheet is paired with a redemption URL. Since the code is part of the URL, users can download the app without having to manually enter the code. You can distribute redemption codes and URLs in a number of ways, including emailing them directly to users, posting them to an internal website such as a company intranet page, or using a third-party Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution to centrally manage them.
25. How do I use the redemption URL I just received?
Open the email on your mobile device and tap the link. Once you enter your Apple ID and password, the app will automatically download to your device. Alternatively, you can open the email on your Mac or PC and click the link. This will add the app to your iTunes library, which you can then sync with your device.
26. My business made a volume app purchase on behalf of our employees, who then redeemed the codes and downloaded the app to their personally-owned devices. Who owns the licenses to the app?
In this case, the employee owns the license. When a code is redeemed, ownership is transferred to whichever Apple ID was used to initiate the download.
27. Do redemption codes expire?
Custom B2B Apps Frequently Asked Questions
28. What is a custom B2B app?
Custom B2B apps are tailored to address a unique business need. As a result, they are not available to the general public for purchase. Unlike enterprise in-house apps, custom B2B apps are not developed internally within your organization, but in collaboration with a third-party developer or business partner.
29. How are custom B2B apps related to the Volume Purchase Program?
A Volume Purchase Program Apple ID is required to purchase custom B2B apps. However, a Volume Purchase Program Apple ID is not required to redeem a code. A standard Apple ID can be used for redemption.
30. Who needs to register for the iOS Developer Program (App Store program)?
A business representative who wants to purchase a custom B2B app only needs to sign up for the Volume Purchase Program for Business. A developer who wants to build custom B2B apps for other businesses must be registered in the iOS Developer Program.
31. How can I get a custom B2B app designed for my business?
To find out if a unique app can be built to address your specific business needs, contact a developer directly. Note that in order to submit a custom B2B app to the Volume Purchase Program, the developer you work with must be registered in the iOS Developer Program. When submitting your custom B2B app, the developer will use the email address associated with your Volume Purchase Program Apple ID to identify you as an authorized business purchaser.
32. How will I know when a custom B2B app is available for purchase?
The developer you are working with should notify you once the app becomes available. Then you can sign in to the Volume Purchase Program website and purchase your new custom B2B app.
33. How do I purchase a custom B2B app once it becomes available?
Custom B2B apps can be purchased just like any other app in the the Volume Purchase Program for Business.
34. How much do custom B2B apps cost?
There is no minimum purchase price for a Volume Purchase Program custom B2B app. However, the developer of the app can charge a price for their custom app. To learn more about the cost of developing an app, contact a developer directly.
35. How do I distribute the redemption codes?
Each redemption code on the spreadsheet is paired with a redemption URL. Since the code is part of the URL, users can download the app without having to manually enter the code. You can distribute redemption codes and URLs in a number of ways, including emailing them direct to users, posting them to an internal website such as a company intranet page, or using a third-party Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution to centrally manage them.
36. Can I control when updates to a custom B2B app are released?
Once an app has been approved by Apple, the release date for that app is set by the developer. To coordinate a custom B2B app release date that meets your requirements, you must communicate directly with your developer.
37. How are custom B2B apps secured?
While Apple does not secure the custom B2B apps themselves, the actual purchase transaction is secured by your sign-in credentials (your Volume Purchase Program Apple ID and password). If your app contains sensitive business data, you may want to instruct your developer to include an authentication mechanism within the app itself.
38. Will Apple review my custom B2B app?
Yes. Every custom B2B app and version update must go through the app review process at Apple. To verify that your custom B2B app meets the guidelines, Apple will need to use the app. You must work with your developer or business partner to ensure that proprietary or sensitive business data is handled appropriately. To protect confidentiality during the app review process, you may want to provide generic test accounts or sanitized sample data.
39. Is there more information about custom B2B apps?
Yes. Additional information about purchasing or developing custom B2B apps is available.